Banner Default Image
Mobile Banner Default Image


< Back to blogs

Moving from NZ to Oz? How to land a job as a Youth Worker

Posted 8 months ago

Edmen Blog Images (13)

Kia Ora, Leaving New Zealand for Australia? Nau mai Haere mai. Here’s how to land a job as a Youth Worker before you even board the plane.

Reckon it might be time to hop over to Australia to improve your work prospects? The good news is, there are plenty of Youth Worker roles available, whether you have experience under your belt or you’re ready to study and start your career, the demand for Youth Workers is high, and with established pathway opportunities, you can secure a role before you even board the plane.

More Kiwis choosing to work in Australia has meant New Zealanders are now Australia’s fourth-biggest migrant community, and with similar job markets and the solid long term relationship between the two countries, it’s no surprise so many Kiwi’s are moving to Australia.

In June 2018, 568,000 New Zealanders were working in Oz. With the unemployment rate in NZ sitting at 5.3% as of September 2020 Youth Work in Australia presents fantastic job security, the projected job growth rate for Youth Workers is nearly 30% over the next 5 years.

The many similarities and shared history between the two countries mean there are partnership agreements, including transferrable accreditations in place, making upskilling a breeze. With access to partner programs, it’s easy to make the jump across The Tasman and establish a fulfilling, purpose-driven role which pays well.


So how do I do it?

Here at Edmen Community Staffing Solutions, we’re always on the lookout for Youth Support Workers to join our growing team. We work with some of Australia’s leading community service providers that support vulnerable young people in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria.

Working with Edmen gives you the chance to make a real difference to lives of young people in residential care, while developing your skills and qualifications in the sector. Plus, if you’re thinking of moving to Australia long-term, we also offer opportunities for staff to transition into permanent roles with our community service partners. You can find out more about life at Edmen here.


Getting qualified:

Edmen partners with DaV’ange Training to upskill you via nationally accredited courses which are recognised in Australia and NZ. If you complete Cert IV or a diploma in Community Services, and you might be eligible for financial support while you study. As the course is transferrable, you can interview online and may even be able to lock in a role before you leave New Zealand.

After completing your training, there are a couple of things you will need to start work as a Youth Worker in Australia:

  • Resume

  • Australian drivers license and vehicle (you can drive on your NZ licence for up to 3 months and then transfer to an Australian licence. Each Australian state has a slightly different process so check in directly with the state you’ll be living in)

  • Australian bank account

  • Tax file number

  • Australian home address

  • National Police Check

  • First Aid Certificate

  • Working with children check (or Blue Card in Queensland)

To learn more about moving from New Zealand to become a Youth Worker in Australia, watch this video of NZ-born Josh as he shares his experience swapping from a lifelong career in logistics to becoming a Youth Worker with Edmen in Australia.

Josh says he has ‘never looked back’ and nor will you, so what are you waiting for? Get the ball rolling on your journey to becoming an Edmen Youth Worker in 2021!


Head over to our jobs board to apply for our open Youth Support Worker roles. Have a question? Get in touch today to learn more about the application process for New Zealand-based candidates.