Banner Default Image
Mobile Banner Default Image


< Back to blogs

Getting qualified as a Youth Worker in Queensland

Posted 12 months ago by Edmen

Whats App Image 2020 07 06 At 11

Interested in working with and supporting young people to improve their quality of life? Hats off to you! We think the community (and world) need more people like you.

Youth work is a rewarding, yet challenging career that can make a huge difference to the lives of vulnerable kids and teens. While Edmen doesn’t provide youth worker training or certifications directly, we partner with organisations, like DaV’ange that do, and can help point you in the right direction.

There are minimum qualifications you’ll need before you get started but becoming a youth worker in Queensland may not be as hard as you think.

Read on for everything you need to know.

What are the qualification requirements for Youth Workers in Queensland?

To work in licensed residential care in Queensland, or in other words, to work at a premise that is owned or leased for the purpose of providing care to young people, you will need to meet some minimum requirements. These are called the Minimum Qualification Standards.

To keep things simple, we’ve listed them out below.

1.      Before you start working as a youth worker, you will need to either hold or be enrolled in a recognised relevant qualification (see table below). This is sometimes organised as part of the recruitment process through the residential service provider. You will need to obtain this qualification before commencing any unsupervised direct care work with children

2.      If you are enrolled, you’ll then need to obtain the recognised qualification within the timeframes set by the training organisation or authority.

3.      You will also need to complete the Hope and Health Framework Foundations Training prior to starting unsupervised direct care work with children and young people.

The above Minimum Qualification Standards apply to all residential care staff and their direct supervisors, including agency staff (like Edmen Youth Workers), employed by organisations providing licenses residential care services in Queensland.

I want to be a Youth Worker but don’t have a recognised qualification. What are my options?

There are several pathways into Youth Work. So if you want to get into youth work but don’t hold the relevant or preferred qualification, don’t stress – there are options available. From diplomas to university degrees, the level of qualification vary among youth workers.

In Queensland, if you don’t hold one of the recognised qualifications (see table below), a Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention (Residential Care) is the preferred qualification.

What are the recognised qualifications for Residential Youth Workers?

The below table outlines the recognised qualifications for Residential Care Workers (including Youth Workers) in Queensland.

You must be either enrolled or have obtained the one of the below qualifications before you start working as a residential youth worker.

As well having a recognised qualification, you will need to complete the Hope and Health Foundation Training before starting any unsupervised direct care work with children.

Ready to take the jump? How Edmen can help launch your career in Youth Work.

As one of Australia’s leading community workforce solutions, Edmen is one of the largest providers of staff within the disability and youth sectors. We partner with leading training organisations and community service providers to help you upskill and launch a rewarding career.

If you’re ready to kickstart your career as a Youth Worker or want to learn more about how we can help you get the qualifications you need, get in touch with us today.