Banner Default Image
Mobile Banner Default Image


< Back to blogs

Starting Your Career in Community Support

Posted about 3 years ago by Alison Rodriguez

Employees Of The Month (4)

​Why Start Now?

The ramp up of the National Disability Insurance Scheme has created a massive rise in employment opportunities within the community services sector, making now a better time than ever to pursue your career in care work. If this is something you’ve been considering for a while, you’d know that community services work is an extremely rewarding career path – one of the few jobs to choose where you truly make a difference in the lives of other people and their families, improving the quality of life for vulnerable community members.

Working in community services also allows a lot of room for personal and professional growth, and with as little as one relevant qualification you can be working a variety of jobs from a huge selection of areas, meaning if you feel a little static in your work environment, you can easily change activities without having to start a whole new career. Community work also guarantees job security in such a booming and ‘always needed’ industry.

Things to Consider

There are some things to consider before starting work in this industry, such as the role you’d like to undertake. Community Support has places for people wanting to work in areas from frontline support, right through to administration and catering roles. Community work allows so much choice, such as working with young people, the elderly or disabled individuals – and the potential to move up to supervisor and managerial roles is also something to consider when applying within workplaces.

With care work being such a rewarding career, it is bound to come with challenges. Community support work can be emotionally and physically demanding, sometimes requiring you to be on the go for an entire shift, or working with people with challenging behaviours and health issues.

What Do I Need?

To be considered for a Casual Support Worker role at Edmen Community Staffing Solutions you will need a valid Australian Drivers’ License, six (6) months experience and a current Working with Children Check.

If you’re considering working specifically within Aged Care, there is a mandatory qualification requirement. For all other Support Roles however, studying towards your qualification is a great way to gain practical insight into making the most of your role. The main courses in the sector to consider are Certificate III in Individual Support or Certificate IV Disability.

As the need for Support Workers continues to increase, and the sector sees opportunities grow rapidly, now is the time to start your journey in this rewarding career.